Saratoga Central Catholic School, continuing in the tradition of St. Peter’s Academy, is a Catholic, co-educational, Diocesan school located in Saratoga Springs, New York, educating students in grades 6 through 12.
“Saratoga Central Catholic School seeks to enlighten, inspire, and nurture the minds, hearts, and souls of our students in academic excellence based on the teachings of Jesus Christ in the Catholic tradition.”
“Omnia Pro Deo” – All For God
Facts & Figures
- 99% of our graduates go on to college
- Our students score higher on standardized tests, than area public school students
- Our graduates get accepted at the top colleges in the country
- 100% of our students receive Regents Diplomas
- The average graduation class receives over $5 million in college scholarship awards
- AP courses are offered in the following course areas: English Literature, World History, U. S. History, Calculus A/B, Physics and Biology.
- Juniors and Seniors are eligible to take online courses through Hudson Valley Community College during the school day under the supervision of the school’s teaching staff.
- Field teams in 9 inter-scholastic sports, including volleyball, football, cross country running, soccer, golf, bowling, basketball, cheerleading, baseball, softball and track and field.
- Fine Arts Programs include: Chorus, Art and Theatre Arts, Mass Choir and Diocesan Choir.
- School theatrical productions include Fall high school play, Christmas dinner theater, and Spring middle school musical, and Spring high school musical
- Extra curricular clubs and activities include: Odyssey of the Mind, Mock Trial, Cooking Club, Envirothon, Peer Ministry, Community Service Club, Chess Club, Student Government, Green Club, and Moody’s Math Challenge
- Some of the colleges where our graduates have attended…Boston College, Clarkson University, Cornell University, Fairfield University, Fordham University, Ithaca College, LeMoyne College, Manhattanville College, Marist College, Marquette University, New York University, Northeastern University, Providence College, RIT, RPI, St. Michael’s University, Seton Hall University, Siena College, St. Bonaventure University, Syracuse University, University of Notre Dame, United States Naval Academy, United States Merchant Marine Academy, SUNY Geneseo, SUNY Albany, SUNY Buffalo and Vassar College…to name a few!
Father Daniel Cull first outlined the plans for the purchase of the property on William Street, and renovated it from a house to a school. By the Fall of 1855, St. Peter’s School was in operation, the first pupils a handful of boys. Over the next several years the school grew slowly and expanded to the teaching of both boys and girls.
In 1862, the Sisters of St. Joseph were asked and accepted the educational mission at St. Peter’s School, now housed on the corner of Williams and Hamilton street (grades 1-8). The first floor of the building was divided into two schools, – a “select school” and a “free school”. The students of the free school received traditional instruction, while those in the select school included the study of various fine arts. St. Peter’s School became the first parochial school established in Saratoga County.
After a period of successful operation, twenty years to be exact, the school was closed and the Sisters of St. Joseph returned to their Provincial House. There has been no satisfactory explanation available regarding the closing of the school.
In 1901, through the zeal of the Reverend James Flood, the Sisters of St. Joseph were called back to Saratoga, and a new page was written in the school’s history. The New York State Department of Education recognized St. Peter’s School (grades 1-8) and St. Peter’s Academy (grades 9-12) as an accredited elementary and high school, with the first high school commencement exercise in June 1905.
The reopened school conducted classes in the basement of St. Peter’s Church. Kneeling benches and kneelers served as desks and seats. Within several years the Shays residence became the school building. In 1909, with expanding enrollment, one high school class was moved to the cottage of the resident sexton and by 1912 the entire high school was moved to the cottage. These two buildings (the cottage and sexton’s house) remained functioning as the school until the erection in 1926 of the present school building behind the church. The St. Peter’s Academy building was completed in January 1927. The school’s registration (grades 1-12) for that year was 300. Under Father Scully, the educational standards were raised and improved with the school being recognized by the University of the State of New York in 1927.
Visions for improved and greater opportunities for the pupils were carried on by Father Burns with the construction of the current high school separate from the elementary school. In 1953, St. Peter’s Academy opened the building on Broadway that is now called Saratoga Central Catholic. In 1976, St. Peter’s Academy changed administrative control from St. Peter’s Church to the Albany Roman Catholic Diocese, becoming a Diocesan High School.
1976 – With strong community support and backing, St. Peter’s Academy transitioned from a Parish high school to a Diocesan high school signified by the name change to Saratoga Central Catholic. The new name reflected the expanded mission of the school from a parish to a regional high school encompassing Saratoga, Warren and Washington Counties.
1988 – Under the Regionalization process undertaken by the Albany Roman Catholic Diocese, grades 7 and 8 were added creating a Junior-Senior High School environment.
2005 – With further restructuring under the Albany Roman Catholic Diocese, grade 6 was added creating the current Middle School and High School environment.
2013-2015 – The community, realizing the needs for major improvements and upgrades to a sixty year old building, successfully funded a Capital Campaign which replaced the sidewalks, the exterior lighting along Broadway, repaired the main entrance way, roof, chimney and upgraded the security and the wireless technologies in the building.